Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Grateful For...

I've had some degree of trouble lately sitting down to the computer. Yes, I often tout the excuse that "I'm busy" (and I am); however, my lack of sitting down at the keyboard has more to do with the fact that the things I want/need to write about expend a good deal of emotional energy, and most days, I'm just not prepared for that. It's definitely a character flaw of mine that came about within the last few years and I do recognize the need to work on that in the near future. Because I've been feeling a little down lately with all of the stressors in my life and could use a "pick-me-up", I decided to pen a "Grateful for..." list, yet another post inspired by Kym.

* * * * *
In no particular order...
1. I am grateful for Memorial Day weekend 11 years ago and for the two people I once called friends who left me in a situation that forever changed my life. At my expense, those people taught me what friendship is not.
2. I am grateful for the two true friends I have in my life now who make me a better person, and without them, I wouldn't be me.
3. I am grateful for Ricky-Roo because even though we are constantly at each other's throats (in a funny way), he always makes me laugh. His friendship brings out a side of me that I had forgotten was there.
4. I am grateful for Doozie's banana splits...even if it's 40-degrees and you have to stand in line for an hour to get one.
5. I am grateful for my baby, Christian, who continues to teach me so much about life and living, and despite his chronic health troubles, has a spirit that is truly inspiring and magical. I am also grateful for his "old soul" that knows just when I need a little cheering up because he'll take my face in his tiny little hands, look me right in the eye, and says, "Mommy, you are as beautiful as a flower stem." I.heart.him.
6. I am grateful for my Nicholas because he has such a fighting (and stubborn) spirit and has the ability to always make me laugh. Although he would deny it, he reminds me so much of myself. His drive and tenacity (and occasional temper tantrum because he got an A- instead of an A) inspire me to be a better mom.
7. I am grateful for the moments with Zach were I don't feel the need to pull my hair out because of an irrational insecurity that I'll never be the kind of step-mom that he needs or deserves. Without him knowing it, Zach and I have more in common than he realizes, and it's those unrealized bonds that will help us get through these trying teenage years.
8. I am grateful for the alarm on my phone going off to alert me that I should be at work in 15 minutes, yet I'm still sitting her in my robe with wet hair. More of my list later....