Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Gut Feelings

I am the self-proclaimed queen of "gut feelings." I think this curse, errrr...gift, was passed down through my grandmother and my mother and then on to me. I seem to have this innate ability to have "gut feelings" about things well before they even happen. I'm convinced that it's a rather eerie form of ESP or something like that. I have correctly predicted many of my own life-altering events based on these gut feelings which others can even vouch for.

So, because of these gut feelings, I shouldn't be surprised about what transpired this evening.

After work, we drove out to the house we are/were planning on buying for a second round of inspections with our building inspector. The first round of inspections went ok, not stellar, and there was some work the seller needed to do as a result. I wasn't feeling great about this first round of inspections, but thought I was just worrying too much (like I have a tendency to do). As a result of the first inspection, we decided that the seller needed to do some work (like install an access to the attic for us to verify the type of insulation that was supposedly installed). There are many reasons more than this, but I have had a bad feeling about this house from the time of the first inspection. The feeling has been nagging at me for weeks, yet I have chosen to ignore it.

After our second round of inspections tonight, my gut feelings seem to have gotten the best of me. Not so suprising is the fact that the insulation was not what the seller boasted it was. In some places, there is only 4" of insulation (at most). This is on top of the fact that there is not a system in place to empty the water from the crock that is installed in the basement, and a whole host of other issues that, on their own, might not amount to that much, but when added all up, we're starting to talk about a considerable amount of money just to make this BRAND NEW house liveable.

Rob's at a baseball game right now, so I haven't talked this over with him yet; however, I am leaning toward withdrawing our offer on this house. My gut feelings have been telling me for quite some time now that this isn't the house for us, but I've been ignoring the nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Moral of the Story: If you are cursed (or blessed) with these gut feelings, they really are there to protect and warn you. The trick is that they only work in that way if you LISTEN to them.

1 comment:

JW Moxie said...

Hey Bec! I nominated you for an award. Check my blog!